There are plenty of tools available on the web to help internet marketers in creating a high converting sales page, such as sales page templates, guides or advices of successful online gurus.
In this article I collected the most common mistakes on a sales page that are made by newbies despite of all these great aids mentioned above.
The most common mistakes you should avoid on a sales page are the following:
1. Using Videos From Video Sharing Websites on a Sales Page
It is already well known that the conversion using videos is much higher than using only text. However, it does matter how you do it.
Don’t insert your video from a video sharing website like Youtube or Viddler. The reason is simple: you don’t want your visitors to click away. So use your own video player, which should offer you the option to switch off buttons like forward and backward. It is proven that conversion is higher if the visitors have to watch the video from the beginning till the end if they are curious about the final outcome. Of course to let them pause the video is allowed.
2. Using Elements That Can Distract Visitors
As I mentioned in the previous paragraph as well, we do not want to lead the visitors away from our sales page. The only thing they should be able to click on is the buy button.
Besides a video, distraction can be a links, a banner (regardless of its type), an AdSense advertisement and so on.
If you want to maximize your conversion make sure you do not use all these kinds of website elements.
3. Choosing Uncommon Website Extensions
Today more than 40 website extensions are available to use, however, my experience is that .com is still the best option to choose.
I have more reasons:
- On one hand it is so well spread and well known it gives a more official feeling to the url, this way people will think that it is more reliable.
- On the other hand most people got used to that a website should be .com. If you use something else it can happen that if they want to enter the URL of your sale page by heart, they will automatically write .com, and if you use something else they can end up in some other website.
You may think that these problems are too obvious, but still don’t forget about them when you are working on your next sales page.
Generally speaking, if you want to make sure that you use the most up-to-date knowledge base to create a high converting sales page, use quality, well-designed sales page templates. They are going to guide you through all the steps, contain every important part and provide you professional graphics.
If you don’t put additional distracting elements you can rest assured that you are on the best way to become a successful sales page owner.